What’s a marriage annulment?
A marriage annulment is a legal proceeding which effectively “cancels” the marriage between two parties due to it being considered void under certain conditions stated by the Family Law Act.
Annulment is different to a divorce because there is no official ending to a marriage (in the case of divorce) – instead, the marriage is considered not to have existed in the first place.
Examples of a marriage which would be considered null and void include:
- One of the parties being already married at the time of the marriage ceremony
- The marriage being between direct descendants (i.e. grandparent or parent or child)
- The requirements of the Marriage Act not being met
- One of the parties didn’t give their consent to marry – or consented under duress or fraud
- One or both of the parties were under the legal age to marry (under 18) at the time that the marriage took place
How can a Cobalt Legal annulment lawyer help you with a marriage annulment in Perth?
With compassion, understanding and a no-nonsense, approach, for one thing.
Our marriage annulment lawyer will also provide legal advice and assistance with your application to the Family Court of Western Australia to obtain a decree of nullity as quickly and efficiently as possible.
This may be a straightforward application or a more complex one (for example, if one of the parties contests the application). Either way, we’ve got your back.
Want to find out more about how we can help you with all things marriage annulment?
You can have a FREE 15-minute phone consultation with one of our marriage annulment lawyers in Perth and get more information.